About Our Project Partner
Our in-country partners, The Small World, was founded by Karma and Sonam Sherpa out of the desire to help children to get an education and rise above their challenges of being orphaned or with families that can’t support another child. The Small World founded the Himalayan Hope Home in Kathmandu as a child protection center and to serve as a preventative strategy for at-risk children.
Nepal is renowned for its natural beauty, spectacular scenery and cultural landmarks. With Mount Everest on the northern border, and the birthplace of Buddha to the south, Nepal is a charming and exotic destination. However, it is also the poorest country in Asia with a percentage of the population living in poverty.
Located in the Everest region with a population of 140,000 people, and 30 different ethnic communities, the Solukhumbu District is the location of our community project, which includes the best view of Mt. Everest—the highest point on earth.
About the Trip
- Lodging: Rustic guesthouse
- Remote/Not remote: Remote - the village where we will be staying and working in Solukhumbu is small and located in the mountains of the Himalayas
- Language: Nepali and English
- Food: Traditional food consists rice, dal bhat (lentil soup), vegetables, momos (steamed dumplings) and spices
- To get there: International to Kathmandu’s Tribhuvan International Airport (KTM). Please note that this trip may require an extra travel on both ends. Depending on your location, flights may require leaving your destination on Thursday or Friday to arrive in Kathmandu for the first gathering on Saturday night. Please check flights before registering.
Additional Trip Activities
- Tour of historic Kathmandu
- Trekking, plus an Add-on 3-day trek opportunity
- Visiting a monastery
- Momo making
- Viewing Mt. Everest and other Himalayian mountain peaks